Mika has been announced as one of the acts for the Good Morning America Summer Concert Series held in New York on July 3rd. Click here to see the announcement.
As Lebanese-British pop star Mika prepares to headline the West Lake Music Festival in Hangzhou, he talks to Time Out about his forthcoming album, the essence of pop and his multi-culturalism
You recently announced that you’ll be releasing your fourth album, No Place in Heaven, this coming June. Can you talk a little bit about what this album will sound like, and what the process has been like putting it together?
It was a very intense process. I was working out of a large expensive studio and I realised that it wasn’t necessary, being in studios like that the whole process of trying to create something really intimate in such a big setting just didn’t make sense. So I left the studio, cleared all my sessions, went to the MAC store and bought myself a computer and a soundboard and we rented a piano. We set up a studio in the living room of the house I was renting and even though it was slightly noisy, which was the only disadvantage, the advantage was that I just created a record and brought all the songwriters that I wanted to work with into this house, and we wrote and recorded most of the album there. I know that a lot of people are doing this now and it just changed everything, because it felt literally homemade.
Here it is, the moment we all have been waiting for: dates!
And more are yet to come, both in Europe and internationally, so make sure to stay tuned.
Meanwhile, do your plans and remember that tickets go on general sale on Thursday 2nd April at 10am CET
Have fun picking your gigs:
- 24 May: Seoul Jazz Festival, Seoul, SOUTH KOREA
- 26 May: Shinkiba Studio Coast, Tokyo, JAPAN
- 27 May: Namba Hatch, Osaka, JAPAN
- 7 June: Caribana Festival, Crans-près-Céligny, SWITZERLAND
- 10 June: Fabrique, Milan, ITALY
- 13 June: Les Francos Gourmandes, Tournus, FRANCE
- 10 July: Festival Jardins de Pedralbes, Barcelona, SPAIN
- 19 July: Colours of Ostrava Festival, Ostrava, CZECH REPUBLIC
- 23 July: Teatro Antico, Taormina, ITALY
- 25 July: Arena Della Regina, Cattolica, ITALY
- 30 July: Estivale Open Air Festival – Estavayer le Lac, SWITZERLAND
- 2 August: Arenal Sound Festival – Burriana (Castellòn province), SPAIN
- 6 August: Rochefort Summer Sound Festival, Rochefort, FRANCE
- 18 September: Le Liberté, Rennes, FRANCE
- 19 September: Zenith, Paris, FRANCE
- 20 September: Zenith, Lille, FRANCE
- 22 September: Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS
- 23 September: Forest National, Brussels, BELGIUM
- 25 September: Den Atelier, Luxembourg City, LUXEMBOURG
- 26 September: Komplex 457, Zurich, SWITZERLAND
- 27 September: Mediolanum Forum, Milan, ITALY
- 29 September: Palalottomatica, Rome, ITALY
- 30 September: Mandela Forum, Florence, ITALY
- 01 October: L’Amphitheatre, Lyon, FRANCE
- 03 October: Medoquine, Bordeaux, FRANCE
- 04 October: Le Bikini, Toulouse, FRANCE
- 05 October: El Ringo del Palacio, Madrid, SPAIN
- 07 October: Le Silo Marseille, FRANCE
- 08 October: Le Summum, Grenoble, FRANCE
- 09 October: Zenith de Nancy, Nancy, FRANCE
Mika’s new album will be called ‘No Place in Heaven‘ and will be released on June 15th.
Mika’s new single “Talk About You” will be released this Wednesday.
It will premiere in the UK on Radio 2’s Ken Bruce Show between 9.30am and 12pm
— Maison Barclay (@MaisonBarclay) March 23, 2015
Mika just shared this clue on Instagram: “First piece of the puzzle”